Campervans: At home on the road
Saturday 28 May 2011
Four wheels very good? Campervans have a strong place in the affections of their owners, as these excerpts from new book 'My Cool Campervan' prove...
CLICK ON THE IMAGE ON THE RIGHT TO LAUNCH THE GALLERY
Van fan? Try for yourself
Vintage Vacations, Isle of Wight
England's original campsite dedicated to Airstream trailers has 14 shiny caravans decked out in authentic kitschy style, including a 1965 Tradewind Airstream and Stanley, a 1970s "pop-up" caravan.
Vintage Vacations, Hazlegrove Farm, Ashey, Isle of Wight PO33 4BD (07802 758 113; vintagevacations.co.uk). From £175 for two nights.
Airstream Holidays, Cornwall
Spread over 27 acres next to Mawgan Porth beach, The Park offers accommodation as diverse as luxury yurts and static caravans. Adding vintage appeal are four Airstream trailers. Two are faithful to their Fifties heritage, while the other two offer sleek contemporary décor.
The Park at Mawgan Porth, Cornwall TR8 4BD (01637 860322; airstreamholidays.co.uk). From £650 a week.
A vintage Airstream trailer is the venue for a quirky B&B on the Scoraig peninsula in Ross-shire. There's also a campsite, cottage and bothy available to stay in.
Badrallach, Dundonnell, Ross-shire, Scotland IV23 2QP (01854 633281; badrallach.com). From £40 per night, with breakfast.
Love Lane, Cornwall
Set on the Lizard next to an ice-cream-producing dairy farm, Love Lane has a collection of classic caravans. There's also a communal bathroom with a roll-top bath.
Love Lane Caravans, Roskilly Farm, Tregellast Barton, Helson, Cornwall TR12 6NX (01326 340406; lovelanecaravans.com). Three-night stays from £180.
La Rosa, Yorkshire
Set amid woodland in the North Yorkshire Moors National Park near Whitby, the low-energy site has everything from a wooden gypsy caravan to a converted truck and chrome trailer.
La Rosa Campsite, Whitby, North Yorkshire (01947 606981; larosa.co.uk). One-night stays from £60.
* Milton Keynes-based Cruzin Campers (0772 5354 586; cruzincampers.co.uk) rents vintage VW vans from £250 for a weekend.
* Big Tree Campervans ( bigtreecampervans.com) in Perthshire has modern campervans starting at £240 for three days' hire. * Devon-based O'Connors Campers (01837 659599; oconnorscampers.co.uk) rents VWs for £400.
* VW Kampers (01273 493032; vwkampers.com) in Sussex rents VW vans from £100 per day.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 JK Rowling horrified by Harry Potter actor Matthew Lewis's raunchy photoshoot
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 4 Georgia Army veteran arrested for breaking window to save dog has charges dropped
- 5 New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Labour leadership: Battle lines are drawn as members battle over party's ideology at first hustings of the contest
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...