Eurotunnel train strike threat
Thursday 25 August 2011
Channel Tunnel shuttle train services run by Eurotunnel are facing the threat of strike action by French unions over the Bank Holiday weekend.
Eurotunnel said it was not taking further bookings for journeys between Calais and Folkestone for Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday. But the company said it still hoped to run a full service over the weekend.
French workers were demanding an 8 per cent pay rise and were threatening to strike from Saturday. The company said it was taking all steps to mitigate any disruption by ensuring British train drivers were available. Eurotunnel is also looking into the possibility of sending British staff to man the terminal in France.
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 How We Met: Alison Moyet & Emma Kennedy: 'I knew we'd be friends because she was happy to make a prat of herself'
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Abdullah Deghayes: My son was the martyr of a just cause, says father of British teenager killed in Syria conflict
Ukraine crisis: Helicopter gunships take country closer to all-out war
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...