Get away from the Boeing 777
Sunday 15 March 2009
After a report by an American safety watchdog found there is a "high probability" of another failure of the sort that caused a BA Boeing 777 to crash land at Heathrow last year, The IoS offers you ways to avoid getting on a 777, plus some reassurance for those who cannot avoid it.
1) Cathay Pacific They will fly you to Hong Kong on a Boeing 747-400 but you have to be extremely specific about the days you want to travel as the majority of its services to this country are on the dreaded 777.
2) British Airways said it operates 15 Boeing 777s across its routes. You can check online for what model of aircraft goes to your destination before booking. However, the airline can change them without notice.
3) air new zealand says it has different aircraft for different routes to Auckland. Usually the Hong Kong route uses the 747, the Los Angeles route the 777, but Air NZ said it reserves the right to swap aircraft without notice.
4) Ring & check. Apart from BA, other major users of 777s are Emirates, Singapore, United, Air France, and American. Only those with Rolls-Royce engines are affected.
5) Don't panic The plane has had no fatalities among passengers or crew. And, following the Heathrow crash landing, Rolls-Royce say that the component that has to be redesigned will be ready within a year.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
Top 10 cheapest cities to visit, according to TripAdvisor
The 50 Best spas
South Africa's new travel rules: From October, families with under-18s will need to show their birth certificates
Weary? In need of some sun? Relax and unwind with a trip to... Iraqi Kurdistan
Harder, better, faster, longer: The best rollercoasters in the world
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Nigerian witch-finder Helen Ukpabio threatens legal action against human rights organisations
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...