Get away from the Boeing 777
Sunday 15 March 2009
After a report by an American safety watchdog found there is a "high probability" of another failure of the sort that caused a BA Boeing 777 to crash land at Heathrow last year, The IoS offers you ways to avoid getting on a 777, plus some reassurance for those who cannot avoid it.
1) Cathay Pacific They will fly you to Hong Kong on a Boeing 747-400 but you have to be extremely specific about the days you want to travel as the majority of its services to this country are on the dreaded 777.
2) British Airways said it operates 15 Boeing 777s across its routes. You can check online for what model of aircraft goes to your destination before booking. However, the airline can change them without notice.
3) air new zealand says it has different aircraft for different routes to Auckland. Usually the Hong Kong route uses the 747, the Los Angeles route the 777, but Air NZ said it reserves the right to swap aircraft without notice.
4) Ring & check. Apart from BA, other major users of 777s are Emirates, Singapore, United, Air France, and American. Only those with Rolls-Royce engines are affected.
5) Don't panic The plane has had no fatalities among passengers or crew. And, following the Heathrow crash landing, Rolls-Royce say that the component that has to be redesigned will be ready within a year.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
The 50 Best spas
A commuter is getting revenge on First Capital Connect by Photoshopping its CEO's face every time his train is delayed
The 50 Best weekend retreats
Simon Calder: Heathrow's Terminal 2, barely powered up and it's unfit for the job
Win a tailor-made trip to Graubünden, Switzerland’s No. 1 holiday destination
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...