Make Britain your port of call for a European summer escape: Cruise report
Sunday 20 July 2014
Crowded departure lounges, lost luggage, looming air-traffic controller strikes and the threat of having your mobile phone confiscated if the battery goes flat is enough to make you give up and stay at home, but there's one way to avoid such holiday hassles – take a cruise from a UK port. And it isn't too late to book for August.
Andrew Davies of Go Cruise (gocruise.co.uk) says: "It may seem surprising that availability is still pretty good but there are more and larger ships than ever sailing from UK ports. There's also plenty of choice left in the Med, with one-week cruises for as little as £400. At this late stage, direct flights that fit your itinerary could double the price. A no-fly cruise from a UK port can be cheaper – and simpler to organise."
Numbers joining cruises at UK ports passed a million for the first time in 2013 and Southampton is now Europe's largest cruise port. Up to four ships a day will depart in August.
In addition to the six P&O ships (pocruises.co.uk) sailing from Southampton, American lines Royal Caribbean (rccl.com), Princess (princess.com), Celebrity (celebritycruises.co.uk) and Holland America Line (hollandamerica.com) all have ships based in Southampton, Dover and Harwich.
One- to two-week no-fly cruises can reach western France, Spain, Portugal, Scandinavia and Russia, and as far as Italy and the Canary Islands. Fred Olsen (fredolsencruises.com) offers departures from 10 UK ports this year and next, including Liverpool, Avonmouth, Greenock and Belfast. They say 90 per cent of Britons live within 90 minutes' drive of one of their cruises.
* Big ship Adventure of the Seas, with inline skating and a climbing wall, sails to the Mediterranean from Southampton on 3 August for two weeks. The cost is from £1,299pp with Royal Caribbean (0844 493 2061; royalcaribbean.co.uk).
* Sail on August 17 from Liverpool aboard Boudicca to circumnavigate Iceland, with overnight stay in Reykjavik. Prices for the 11-nights start at £749pp with Fred.Olsen (0800 035 5242; fredolsencruises.com).
* A seven-night voyage to the Norwegian fjords aboard Ryndam departs Dover on 23 August with fares starting at £699pp. Excursions offered include sea kayaking and mountain biking. Book with Holland America (0843 374 2300; hollandamerica.com).
* A Canary Islands cruise aboard P&O's Aurora, calling at Madeira and Lisbon en route, departs Southampton for 12 nights on 11 August. Fares are from £1,089 for adults and from £725 per child aged 2-16 sharing their parents' cabin (0843 373 0111; pocruises.co.uk).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
Natural wonders in the UK: From Giant's Causeway to Durdle Door
What's it like on board North Korean airline Air Koryo - the worst in the world?
Exclusive Escapes: Upmarket holiday company goes bust on the eve of bank holiday weekend
The most powerful passports in the world
North Korean airline Air Koryo named worst in the world for fourth time in a row (despite Kim Jong-un's best efforts)
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...