The 10 Best autumn walks
Pull on your boots and dig out your warmest scarf. Here are our rambling recommendations for the months ahead
1. Alwen Reservoir, Conwy
Most of this seven-mile walk is around the shoreline of the Alwen Reservoir but it also has uphill paths that trail through forest to Mynydd Hiraethog.
2. Whernside, Yorkshire
This nine-mile trek straddles the border between Cumbria and Yorkshire, but the draw sits in God's Own County: the hill of Whernside (one of the "big hills").
3. River Garry, Perth and Kinross
A stroll at four miles, so it's welcoming for all ages. There isn't a mountain in sight along this riverbank walk. It's paved, too.
4. Mam Tor & Cave Dale from Castleton, Derbyshire
Not for those unfamiliar with fell walking. The route starts at Castleton, takes in Hollins Cross and ends at Peveril castle.
5. Belper, Derbyshire
The main attraction here is the views of Derwent Valley. But you also walk past the soaring mills built by the 18th-century industrialist Jebediah Strutt.
6. St Ives to Carbis Bay, Cornwall
This hugs one of Britain's loveliest coastlines, the two-miles between St Ives and the lovely Carbis Bay. Good for children.
7. Gordale Scar, Yorkshire
This nine miles has some of the most dramatic scenery in England. Crane your neck to see the waterfall of Janet's Foss or the marvel at Gordale Scar itself.
8. Lindisfarne Castle, Northumberland
The one mile route winds its way around the land below the castle, showing off the remnants of the 19th-century lime industry.
9. Lynton, Lynmouth and The Valley of Rocks, Devon
This three-miler, which zig-zags into the valley before reaching the beach, is "moderately" difficult. Cracking scenery though.
10. Sandwood Bay, Sutherland
The eight-miler runs past Lochs Aisirs, Na Gainimh and a Mhuilinn and then opens out on to Scotland's finest beach.
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...