The 10 Best beach essentials
Everything you need beside the seaside
1. John Lewis Beach Huts towel
Generous and featuring maritime stripes and a fun, coastal design – just what you need to get you in the mood for a day at the beach.
2. Y-Ply neck
Reading a bulky book on the beach all day is hard, so get one of these clever neck rests-cum-seats and say goodbye to pain.
3. Big Jambox
If you have a spare bob or two and a wide expanse of beach where there is no-one to annoy, this portable speaker has astounding sound quality.
4. Gelert Newton padded lounger chair
Easy to carry and ultra-comfortable and if you're not keen on the design, Gelert has plenty of alternatives.
5. Sony Reader
This is thinner than rivals and boasts a responsive touch screen. It's also the world's first eReader that allows you to borrow eBooks wirelessly from public libraries.
6. Caribee Nice '*' Cool backpack with cooler
Coolbags tend to be bulky and difficult to carry. These have a built-in coolbox to keep your water and sandwiches cool.
7. Early Learning Centre clear bucket set
There is perhaps no better or simpler beach day pleasure than building sandcastles. This comes with sea moulds and tools.
8. Cath Kidston Spot Open tote bag
Durable, roomy and on sale. The wipe-clean oilcloth means a few splashes of sea water won't spoil it. Stylish too.
9. Kathmandu picnic rug
This has a fleece face with water-resistant backing and rolls up into a compact carry bag. All you need now is sun, sea and sand – oh and some ham sandwiches.
10. GLTC UV folding umbrella
This protects little ones from harmful UV rays, is easy to transport and only measures 75cm when fully collapsed.
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 'He was always smiling': Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 5 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.