Travel Agenda: Glen Nevis River Race; Paris Plages; Center Parcs
Saturday 17 July 2010
Today: The Glen Nevis River Race is being staged in Lochaber, the "Outdoor Capital of the UK"; 100 elite athletes and adrenalin junkies navigate an obstacle-ridden two-mile stretch of the icy waters of the River Nevis on LiLos (
nofussevents.co.uk ). Also, a new high-speed Skyliner train connects Nippori station in Tokyo to Narita Airport Terminal 2 in 36 minutes, cutting the journey time by 15 minutes (
This week: Life's a beach in Paris from Tuesday – the annual Paris Plages event sees sand, deckchairs, palm trees, games, music and coastal appeal imported to the banks of the Seine for four weeks ( paris.fr ).
On Friday, Cathay Pacific is opening a new lounge atHeathrow Terminal 3 for its first and business class customers, which replaces the existing facility ( cathaypacific.com).
In the diary: Center Parcs is launching a collection of luxury two-storey treehouses at its Sherwood Forest site in Nottinghamshire. Bookings for the four-bedroom houses, complete with hot tub, are being taken for off-peak dates only from January to June 2011 ( centerparcs.co.uk ).
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 3 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Two bailed after arrest over Woolwich attack Twitter comments
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.