World's top 25 train trips announced
The United States and Mexico gave way to Norway and Britain this year on The Society of International Railway Travellers' (IRT) annual list of The World's Top 25 Trains Trips.
The list is based on the experience of IRT writers, editors, members and staff, with all trains and the trips meeting stringent standards for service, accommodation, scenery, itinerary, off-train experiences and passenger enjoyment.
Owen Hardy, CEO of The Society of IRT which was set up 26 years ago, said two Norwegian routes appear this year - the Flam Line, a steep mountain railway connecting a pristine fjord at the tiny town of Flam with Myrdal, a stop on the equally magnificent Oslo-Bergen Railway. New to the top 25 list is the British Pullman, which completes the British leg of Venice Simplon-Orient-Express journeys between Paris and London.
But gone are North America's GrandLuxe Express and Sierra Madre Express which ran in Mexico's Copper Canyon, both closed down currently as victims of the economic downturn.
"The North American train closings had nothing to do with their quality," said Hardy in a statement. "Both were exceptional and extremely popular with American travelers."
Here is the list of the top 25 in geographical order:
1. Canadian (Canada)
2. Royal Canadian Pacific (Canada)
3. Rocky Mountaineer (Canada)
4. Andean Explorer (Peru)
5. Hiram Bingham (Peru)
6. Blue Train (South Africa)
7. Pride of Africa (Rovos Rail) (South Africa)
8. Palace on Wheels (India)
9. Eastern & Oriental Express (SE Asia)
10. Shangri-La Express (China/Tibet)
11. Toy Train (India)
12. Deccan Odyssey (India)
13. Danube Express (Central Europe, Turkey)
14. British Pullman (Great Britain)
15. El Transcantabrico (Spain)
16. Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express (Russia)
17. Venice Simplon-Orient-Express (Europe)
18. Glacier Express (Switzerland)
19. Bernina Express (Switzerland)
20. Royal Scotsman (Scotland)
21. Flam Railway (Norway)
22. Bergen Railway (Norway)
23. Ghan (Australia)
24. Indian Pacific (Australia)
25. Sunlander (Australia)
- 1 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 2 Swedes set up 'ultimate Viking movie'
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 China agrees to impose carbon targets by 2016
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£450 - £500 per annum: Progressive Recruitment: BI Developer (SQL Server 2008,...
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...