World's top 25 train trips announced
Friday 27 February 2009
The United States and Mexico gave way to Norway and Britain this year on The Society of International Railway Travellers' (IRT) annual list of The World's Top 25 Trains Trips.
The list is based on the experience of IRT writers, editors, members and staff, with all trains and the trips meeting stringent standards for service, accommodation, scenery, itinerary, off-train experiences and passenger enjoyment.
Owen Hardy, CEO of The Society of IRT which was set up 26 years ago, said two Norwegian routes appear this year - the Flam Line, a steep mountain railway connecting a pristine fjord at the tiny town of Flam with Myrdal, a stop on the equally magnificent Oslo-Bergen Railway. New to the top 25 list is the British Pullman, which completes the British leg of Venice Simplon-Orient-Express journeys between Paris and London.
But gone are North America's GrandLuxe Express and Sierra Madre Express which ran in Mexico's Copper Canyon, both closed down currently as victims of the economic downturn.
"The North American train closings had nothing to do with their quality," said Hardy in a statement. "Both were exceptional and extremely popular with American travelers."
Here is the list of the top 25 in geographical order:
1. Canadian (Canada)
2. Royal Canadian Pacific (Canada)
3. Rocky Mountaineer (Canada)
4. Andean Explorer (Peru)
5. Hiram Bingham (Peru)
6. Blue Train (South Africa)
7. Pride of Africa (Rovos Rail) (South Africa)
8. Palace on Wheels (India)
9. Eastern & Oriental Express (SE Asia)
10. Shangri-La Express (China/Tibet)
11. Toy Train (India)
12. Deccan Odyssey (India)
13. Danube Express (Central Europe, Turkey)
14. British Pullman (Great Britain)
15. El Transcantabrico (Spain)
16. Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express (Russia)
17. Venice Simplon-Orient-Express (Europe)
18. Glacier Express (Switzerland)
19. Bernina Express (Switzerland)
20. Royal Scotsman (Scotland)
21. Flam Railway (Norway)
22. Bergen Railway (Norway)
23. Ghan (Australia)
24. Indian Pacific (Australia)
25. Sunlander (Australia)
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Top 10 cheapest cities to visit, according to TripAdvisor
Dramatic GoPro video shows backpacker Alexander Hennessy ward off armed robber in Buenos Aires, Argentina
The Best Place To Be Today shows 365 of the world's most amazing places - and the perfect time to visit them
Watch a man race the Circle line - and win
Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...