Saturday 18 January 1997
If you are travelling independently:
1. Get an application form from the Visa Department, 167 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5HE (0171-589 2840), by personal application or by post (enclose a SAE).
2. Complete and return the form together with a letter from your employer, or a bank statement showing you have sufficient funds to sustain you in Oman. You will need to send your passport, plus a fee of pounds 30.
3. Wait about a week.
Getting there: Direct flights are available from Heathrow to Muscat on British Airways and Gulf Air, but fares tend to be high (around pounds 550 through discount agents). Fares are lower if you change planes. Flightbookers (0171-757 2444) has a fare on KLM of around pounds 400 return from numerous UK airports via Amsterdam; Techno Travel (0171-482 0414) has a fare on Kuwait Airways via Kuwait of pounds 439 including tax.
Tours: Jasmin Tours (01628 531121) offers nine-day four-wheel-drive tours for pounds 1072 per person. Cox and Kings (0171-873 5000) has 11-day tours for pounds 1875. In February 1998, ACE Study Tours (01223 835055) has a guided geographical adventure for pounds 2095.
Further information: There is no tourist office in the UK, but you can try calling the information officer at the Embassy of the Sultanate of Oman on 0171-225 0001. Lonely Planet's Arab Gulf States (pounds 12.99) is up- to-date and has a sensible 80-page chapter on Oman.
How to visit a small portion of Oman: Get a cheap flight to Dubai, then catch a local bus (fare pounds 1.50) to the town of Hatta. Although there are no border posts, a longish stretch of the desert journey passes through northern Oman.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...