Saturday 18 January 1997
If you are travelling independently:
1. Get an application form from the Visa Department, 167 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5HE (0171-589 2840), by personal application or by post (enclose a SAE).
2. Complete and return the form together with a letter from your employer, or a bank statement showing you have sufficient funds to sustain you in Oman. You will need to send your passport, plus a fee of pounds 30.
3. Wait about a week.
Getting there: Direct flights are available from Heathrow to Muscat on British Airways and Gulf Air, but fares tend to be high (around pounds 550 through discount agents). Fares are lower if you change planes. Flightbookers (0171-757 2444) has a fare on KLM of around pounds 400 return from numerous UK airports via Amsterdam; Techno Travel (0171-482 0414) has a fare on Kuwait Airways via Kuwait of pounds 439 including tax.
Tours: Jasmin Tours (01628 531121) offers nine-day four-wheel-drive tours for pounds 1072 per person. Cox and Kings (0171-873 5000) has 11-day tours for pounds 1875. In February 1998, ACE Study Tours (01223 835055) has a guided geographical adventure for pounds 2095.
Further information: There is no tourist office in the UK, but you can try calling the information officer at the Embassy of the Sultanate of Oman on 0171-225 0001. Lonely Planet's Arab Gulf States (pounds 12.99) is up- to-date and has a sensible 80-page chapter on Oman.
How to visit a small portion of Oman: Get a cheap flight to Dubai, then catch a local bus (fare pounds 1.50) to the town of Hatta. Although there are no border posts, a longish stretch of the desert journey passes through northern Oman.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence nude photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Isis terror threat: Leading British Muslims issue fatwa condemning terror group
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...