Destination of the week: Paris Gare du Nord
Saturday 04 June 2011
Train beats plane for most journeys to the French capital. Eurostar’s terminus in Paris, besides being the busiest station in Continental Europe, is also a “destination station” in its own right, like St Pancras in London. Building work on the present structure of
la gare began 150 years ago this summer.
See more of the station in Simon Calder’s latest travel video, above.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Trevor Noah: Jon Stewart's replacement faces online criticism over 'anti-Semitic' tweets
- 3 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 4 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...
£23000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Project Accountant (Part-...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...