travel & outdoors: Trouble spots

Click to follow
The Independent Travel
While air travellers from Britain are penalised by Air Passenger Duty (set to double in November), some Central European countries have identified visiting motorists as a potential source of funds. These are some examples of the fees that drivers are liable to pay:

Austria: "Holidaymakers may purchase either weekly or two-monthly discs. The cost of the weekly disc is ATS 70 (about pounds 3.60). The two-monthly disc, which is valid for two consecutive calendar months, will cost ATS 150 (about pounds 7.70)."

- Austrian National Tourist Office (0171-629 0461).

Czech Republic: "A motorway toll coupon of Kcs 400 (approx pounds 10) per car and per calendar year is payable at the Czech border crossing on arrival. Failure to comply may mean being fined by the Czech police."

- Cedok brochure.

Switzerland: "If you're going to be motoring in or through Switzerland, you need to obtain a motoring tax disc called `vignette'. This annual tax of 40 Swiss francs is levied on all cars and motorcycles using the Swiss motorways. An additional fee of 40 Swiss francs applies to trailers and caravans. This tax, which is available at border crossings, can also be purchased by sending a cheque for pounds 18 to Switzerland Tourism, Swiss Centre, Swiss Court, London W1V 8EE."

-Switzerland Tourism.