Around the UK
Sunday 06 January 2008
1. Today is your last chance to experience Doctor Who Up Close at the National Space Centre in Leicester (spacecentre.co.uk). Fans can get face-to-face with a Cyberman and explore the Doctor Who Adventures Interactive Zone.
2. Get out and about on a Wetland Discovery Boat Safari at the Arundel Wetland Centre in West Sussex (wwt.org.uk). Between 11am and 3.30pm climb aboard to discover what wildlife ventures out of the reedbeds. Free with entrance fee.
3. Explore the Sea Floor via an interactive exhibition, opening on Tuesday at Kew Bridge Steam Museum in Middlesex (kbsm.org). Based on sea-bed mapping of the Outer Bristol Channel, kids can become marine scientists, explore a virtual sea world and meet the creatures that live there.
4. Find out how astronomers measure the distance of stars and galaxies at a planetarium show at Mills Observatory, Dundee, on Friday (dundeecity.gov.uk/mills/main.htm). The evening event is suitable for children over the age of seven.
5. Children can be movie directors at the Creativity Lab workshop at W5 in Belfast on Saturday. They can make an animated DVD to take home (028-9046 7700; w5online.co.uk). Book in advance.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
Matt Smith is set to join cast of the Jane Austen classic - with a twist
Actress to appear in second series of the hugely popular crime drama
Much-loved cartoon character returns - without Sir David Jason
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Dramatic GoPro video shows backpacker Alexander Hennessy warding off armed robber in Buenos Aires, Argentina
The Best Place To Be Today shows 365 of the world's most amazing places - and the perfect time to visit them
Watch a man race the Circle line - and win
The 10 Best hiking boots
Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 'Necrophilia-obsessed' girl among double murder accused in three-way sex case
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...