The 10 Best country days out
From fossil hunting to forbidden corners and the golden age of steam
1. Whipsnade Zoo, Bedfordshire
Adult £20.50, child £15.50, org/zsl-whipsnade-zoo
This is the UK's biggest zoo, with lions, elephants, et al. There's also a special family festival aimed at under-10s.
2. Odds Farm, Buckinghamshire
Adult £11.50, child £10.50 oddsfarm.co.uk
Sheep racing, tractor and trailer rides, go karts and farm animals will keep you busy. If it rains, there's a giant indoor playbarn.
3. Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden, North Yorkshire
Adult £9, child £4.85 national trust org.uk/fountains-abbey/
Play hide and seek in the ruined abbey, enjoy activities in the mill or explore the medieval deer park.
4. The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Cornwall
Adult £10, child £6 heligan.com
These mysterious gardens and estate have 200 acres. Discover the romantic Victorian Gardens and Pleasure Grounds.
5. Tree Top Adventure, Snowdonia, Wales
Adult £25, child £20 ttadventure.co.uk
A high-ropes centre that also offers canopy tours, plus "Sky Ride" – an 80ft, five-person swing.
6. Leeds Castle, Kent
Adult £17.50, child £12.50 leedscastle.com
Set in 500 acres of stunning Kent parkland. Besides the castle and glorious gardens, there's a whole range of family-friendly events.
7. Fossil Hunting, Dorset
Charmouth on the Jurassic coast is one of the best places in the world for fossil hunting. So get your bucket, spade and eyes ready to go in search of prehistoric relics.
8. Longleat Safari Park, Wiltshire
Adult £29.50, child £21 longleat.co.uk
This is an extensive Safari Park and there's also the magnificent stately home, Longleat House.
9. Forbidden Corner, Yorkshire Dales
Adult £10.50, child £8.50 theforbiddencorner.co.uk
Four acres of Tupgill Park, this is a warren of labyrinths, follies, passageways and secret doors.
10. East Somerset Railway
Adult £8.50, child £6.50
The East Somerset Railway runs through the beautiful Mendips. Ride on a heritage steam train and enjoy a cream tea on the train.
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...