The 10 Best walking guides
Samuel Muston is deputy editor & food editor of The Independent Magazine. He writes a weekly food column – On the Menu – which appears in The Independent on Friday and i on Monday. And also travel and general features. Follow him on Instagram at @smuston
Wednesday 08 February 2012
1. The Mournes Walks by Paddy Dillon
Walks in the Northern Irish Mourne mountains that take in the rugged coast and beautiful forest parks.
2. The Inn Way... to the English Lake District by Mark Reid
This takes you on a 90-mile circular journey around the Lake District over seven days and 44 pubs.
3. The Big Walks of the North by David Bathurst
Split into the 10 long-distance footpaths, which are, in turn, split down into manageable day walks.
4. Britain's Best Coastal Walks by Andrew McCloy
Let Andrew McCloy take you on a trek along the 15 best coastal walks in England, Wales and Scotland.
5. Wildlife Walks by Malcolm Tait
This beautifully produced, top-notch guide spans 500 of the Wildlife Trusts' nature reserves.
6. The Most Amazing Places to Walk in Britain by Readers Digest
200 of Britain's best walks, each with a memorable landscape, off-kilter attraction or unbeatable view.
7. Walking The Dog by Lezli Rees
Perfect for anyone with children or car-sick pooches, as it is composed exclusively of walks within five minutes of motorway exits.
8. A Coast to Coast Walk by Alfred Wainwright/Chris Jesty
The newly revised version of Alfred Wainwright's pocket-sized guide to his 190-mile coast to coast walk.
9. The Bluffer's Guide to Hiking by Simon Whaley
You'll find lots to interest and amuse in this light-hearted guide to the world of walking.
10. History Walks in Britain by AA Publishing
The starting point for each of the 50 themed walks in this book is a historic trail or building.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...