The top ten: Most beautiful British railway journeys
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 03 November 2013
Andrew Adonis asked, on his way to the Cheltenham Literary Festival: 'Is the North Cotswold Line – Kemble, Stroud etc – the most beautiful in England?' He said it was 'on a short shortlist', so I asked readers to help me compile the best, including the rest of the UK...
1. Edinburgh to Aberdeen Continuing northwards, "none can compete with the Forth and Tay bridges", says Bob Reid.
2. Settle to Carlisle Especially the Ribblehead viaduct, reckons Rupert Greenhalgh.
3. Barking-Gospel Oak on the London Overground. "This journey looks at the urban landscape, but not the showy, award-winning portion," says Paul T Horgan. Nice new rolling stock, too.
4. Cambrian Coast Line in West Wales. Thanks, Mike Ion.
5. Hope Valley in Derbyshire. Suggested by John Taylor and others.
6. West Highland Line from Mallaig to Oban in Scotland. Nominated by Stephen Mann.
7. East Coast Main Line. The view of Durham is prized, but many vote for the "glorious" stretch from Newcastle to Edinburgh (Maeve Sherlock), especially Alnmouth to Berwick when the tide is in (Chris Sharp).
8. North Cotswold Line Nominated by Andrew Adonis.
9. Kendal to Penrith on the West Coast Line. "Stunning," comments Mike Ion. Although I also love the Carstairs to Lockerbie section.
10. Taunton to Penzance Including Brunel's Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash (Ruth Muirhead) and the Dawlish coast (Stephen Mann).
Next week: Anagrams
Coming soon: Ways in which Doctor Who saved the universe, to mark the TV show's 50th anniversary (suggested by my colleague Rogan Dixon). Send your suggestions (by 12 November), and ideas for any future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...