Yesterday was a ...
Wednesday 05 March 1997
Poor Day for Ray Charles, as "Hit the Road, Jack" failed to make the top 10 songs voted by motorists as best for driving to. The poll, run by the Autoglass company, was headed by John Denver's "Country Road", followed by "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen and Frank Sinatra's rendition of "New York, New York".
Disastrous Day for romance, as a 40-year-old Dutchman fell to his death from the roof of a building. He had been intending to serenade a woman who lived on the third floor.
Fatal Day for Larry Blanchfield, who was crushed to death as he tried to escape from the Delaware Correctional Center in a garbage truck. An officer commented that garbage is always compacted before it is driven through the prison gates.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...