The 10 Best bookends
From wooden pirates to brass chess pieces and Morph
Those of us who grew up with Tony Hart's art programmes will recognise these. The Morphs will brighten any shelf .
2. Handmade Vinyl Record
You can jazz up your book collection with these. Though, be warned, you may end up with Frank Zappa's jazz efforts holding up your Orwell essays.
These props don't have any fiddly bits, they're just two dictionary-sized hunks of oak timber from the Lake District.
Looking for some low-key bookends? Then check out this whip-thin, see-through pair of acrylic ends from the ever-reliable John Lewis.
These are made of a thin metal that tilts at an angle, with your books held at 70 degrees. It makes for a pleasing effect, but suits hardbacks best.
6. Kinsley Brass Chess
These solid brass chess piece ends look like they should be gracing some old plutocrat's desk. You're unlikely to find anything sturdier or better made.
You don't have to be a huntin' and a fishin' type to appreciate these fish bookends. They have many virtues, not least their shiny looks and solidity.
8. Wooden Pirate
Here's a way to get your little ones reading: give them these colourful pirate bookends to hold up their favourite Harry Potter or Roald Dahl.
9. Statue of Liberty and Angel of the North
Your copies are looked over by New York's first lady and Anthony Gormley's vast sculpture. They're seriously cool.
10. Wise Old Owl
They may look like featherlight cuddly toys, but the black velveteen and silk owls are weighted with sand, so they won't ever fall off their perch.
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria