The 10 Best bookends
From wooden pirates to brass chess pieces and Morph
Those of us who grew up with Tony Hart's art programmes will recognise these. The Morphs will brighten any shelf .
2. Handmade Vinyl Record
You can jazz up your book collection with these. Though, be warned, you may end up with Frank Zappa's jazz efforts holding up your Orwell essays.
These props don't have any fiddly bits, they're just two dictionary-sized hunks of oak timber from the Lake District.
Looking for some low-key bookends? Then check out this whip-thin, see-through pair of acrylic ends from the ever-reliable John Lewis.
These are made of a thin metal that tilts at an angle, with your books held at 70 degrees. It makes for a pleasing effect, but suits hardbacks best.
6. Kinsley Brass Chess
These solid brass chess piece ends look like they should be gracing some old plutocrat's desk. You're unlikely to find anything sturdier or better made.
You don't have to be a huntin' and a fishin' type to appreciate these fish bookends. They have many virtues, not least their shiny looks and solidity.
8. Wooden Pirate
Here's a way to get your little ones reading: give them these colourful pirate bookends to hold up their favourite Harry Potter or Roald Dahl.
9. Statue of Liberty and Angel of the North
Your copies are looked over by New York's first lady and Anthony Gormley's vast sculpture. They're seriously cool.
10. Wise Old Owl
They may look like featherlight cuddly toys, but the black velveteen and silk owls are weighted with sand, so they won't ever fall off their perch.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 3 Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories