The Top Ten: Eggcorns
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 24 August 2014
Eggcorns were named in 2003 by Geoffrey Pullum, a linguist, because this mishearing of 'acorn' is quite common.
This list was suggested by Georgina Wragg, who nominated 'cold slaw', 'dough-eyed' and 'wipe board' (for whiteboard). One correspondent said, 'From little eggcorns do mighty irks grow,' but these are charming.
1. Curve your enthusiasm Nominated by Citizen Sane
2. Damp squid Set off by James Chapman. Squib is an obsolete word for a firework or banger.
3. To all intensive purposes From Matt Prisseck and Andy Willetts.
4. Ex-patriot Nick Morris’s favourite: “Someone who previously loved their country but became so sick of it they relocated.”
5. Eaten mess From Luke Hildyard, who has also seen “mould wine” on a pub menu.
6. Duct tape Amazingly, it was originally duck tape – strips of cotton duck cloth (from Dutch doek, canvas) made adhesive on one side. With thanks to Ben Stanley.
7. A doggie-dog world A former colleague who shall remain nameless.
8. Foe par Citizen Sane says he saw an email at work in which someone apologised for one.
9. Card shark For card sharp: David Artley thinks this must be the most common eggcorn.
10. To be pacific Heard by Lisa Markwell. Also, “pacifically”– Iain Dale
Next week: Political interviewers
Coming soon: Songs not as good as their intros (such as “Block Buster!” by the Sweet). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Caitlyn Jenner's mother Ester thought her daughter, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, had transitioned for money
- 2 Charles Kennedy 1959-2015: A gifted, compassionate politician whose career was cut short by the 'demon drink' - latest news
- 3 Alton Towers crash: Four seriously injured and 16 guests trapped as Smiler ride carriages collide
- 4 Ann Summers survey reveals the UK's favourite sex position
- 5 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
Britain's Got Talent producers apologise for not making Matisse dog double stunt 'clearer'
Britain's Got Talent 2015 final: Jules and Matisse used secret dog double for winning tightrope act
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 9: 'The Dance of Dragons' sees Jon Snow return to The Wall after epic Battle of Hardhome
Britain's Got Talent final 2015: 90 viewers complain to Ofcom about Alesha Dixon and Amanda Holden's 'revealing' dresses
Black Angel: Lost Star Wars precursor to be made into crowdfunded feature film
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers