The top ten: Original titles of novels
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 15 September 2013
Very few great novels would have been better with their early titles. I should report, though, that some people did not take this week's list seriously. The original title of 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' was not 'Murder at Midnight', Michael Deacon. Nor, Tom Chivers, was 'Wuthering Heights' going to be called 'Captain Zapstar and the Death-Robots of Omnicron 19'.
1. The Man of Feeling Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis.
2. Strangers from Within In the care of Faber editor Charles Monteith, this emerged as Lord of the Flies, according to Faber editor Richard T Kelly.
3. Pop, girls etc The working title of High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby. Nominated by Robert Hutton.
4. Catch-18 The first chapter of my favourite novel was published in a magazine under this title, but it clashed with Leon Uris's Mila 18.
5. The Last Man in Europe A lot of nominations for Nineteen Eighty-Four.
6. Trimalchio in West Egg One of many horrible titles dithered over by F Scott Fitzgerald before he decided on The Great Gatsby.
7. The Kingdom by the Sea Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov.
8. Four-and-a-Half Years of Struggle Against Lies, Stupidity and Cowardice Or Mein Kampf. Nominated by Daniel Hannan and Mark Wallace.
9. The Dead Undead Several nominations, including from David Tuck, for the working title of Bram Stoker's book, which became The Undead and then Dracula.
10. Tomorrow is Another Day Margaret Mitchell was just going to use the last line of Gone With the Wind.
Next week: Films panned as turkeys that are actually quite good
Coming soon: Great bands with terrible names. Send your suggestions (by 24 September), and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
The best TV shows and films coming to the servicetv
Watch the new House of Cards series three trailerTV
Oscars 2015It was the first time Barney has compered the Academy Awards
Oscars 2015 From Meryl Streep whooping Patricia Arquette's equality speech to Chris Pine in tears
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Broadchurch series 3: David Tennant and Olivia Colman to return for third season, ITV confirms
Poldark star Heida Reed says show is not that racy: 'I don't think a single bodice gets ripped'
House of Cards season 3: Claire Underwood is based on an eagle, says Robin Wright
Game of Thrones season 5 spoilers: What we can expect according to George RR Martin's books
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut