The top ten: Tautologous abbreviations
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 23 February 2014
Thanks to Simmy Richman for suggesting that I should collect redundant words at the end of abbreviations, examples of what he calls RAS* syndrome. One correspondent proposed a related phenomenon, of abbreviations that take longer to say than the words they stand for, such as VW, but there aren't 10 of them.
* redundant acronym syndrome
1. Please RSVP Thanks to Paul Hanlon and Nick Reid.
2. RPG games (Role-Playing Games). From Simon Read and Paul Hanlon.
3. HIV virus
4. OPEC countries
5.. LCD display Via Ramesh Biswas.
6. ISBN number Ramesh Biswas again.
7. ABS brakes From David Forder.
8. PIN number
9. PAC code (Port Authorisation Code, when changing provider but keeping same mobile phone number). Thanks to Andy Cowper.
10. ATM machine Especially one belonging to TSB Bank. From Karen Bloor.
Next week: First sentences in fiction
Coming soon: Lost positives (such as ept and hevelled). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
JK Rowling announces Harry Potter's son is starting at Hogwarts
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
Akram Khan: Choreographer says dance is 'as important as maths and being a doctor'
Common words you're probably misusing: From 'enormity' to 'ultimately', 'gambit' to 'fortuitous'
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up