The top ten: Tautologous abbreviations
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 23 February 2014
Thanks to Simmy Richman for suggesting that I should collect redundant words at the end of abbreviations, examples of what he calls RAS* syndrome. One correspondent proposed a related phenomenon, of abbreviations that take longer to say than the words they stand for, such as VW, but there aren't 10 of them.
* redundant acronym syndrome
1. Please RSVP Thanks to Paul Hanlon and Nick Reid.
2. RPG games (Role-Playing Games). From Simon Read and Paul Hanlon.
3. HIV virus
4. OPEC countries
5.. LCD display Via Ramesh Biswas.
6. ISBN number Ramesh Biswas again.
7. ABS brakes From David Forder.
8. PIN number
9. PAC code (Port Authorisation Code, when changing provider but keeping same mobile phone number). Thanks to Andy Cowper.
10. ATM machine Especially one belonging to TSB Bank. From Karen Bloor.
Next week: First sentences in fiction
Coming soon: Lost positives (such as ept and hevelled). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Video shows how to turn your phone into a 3D hologram
- 2 Artist Jamie McCartney: How The Great Wall of Vagina is a stand against 'body fascism'
- 3 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Michael B Jordan and Kate Mara handle excruciatingly awkward and offensive interview questions like pros
Poldark finale review: Not even the 'putrid throat' and tragedy to stop the Ross Poldark swoon-fest
Artist Jamie McCartney: How The Great Wall of Vagina is a stand against 'body fascism'
Agatha Christie: Experts discover secret formula to unmask killers in author's books
Cilla Black: Her 12 best songs, from 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' to 'You're My World'
Zoolander 2 trailer leaks online and it's really, really, ridiculously good looking
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor Chris Leslie
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality