The top ten: Tautologous abbreviations
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 23 February 2014
Thanks to Simmy Richman for suggesting that I should collect redundant words at the end of abbreviations, examples of what he calls RAS* syndrome. One correspondent proposed a related phenomenon, of abbreviations that take longer to say than the words they stand for, such as VW, but there aren't 10 of them.
* redundant acronym syndrome
1. Please RSVP Thanks to Paul Hanlon and Nick Reid.
2. RPG games (Role-Playing Games). From Simon Read and Paul Hanlon.
3. HIV virus
4. OPEC countries
5.. LCD display Via Ramesh Biswas.
6. ISBN number Ramesh Biswas again.
7. ABS brakes From David Forder.
8. PIN number
9. PAC code (Port Authorisation Code, when changing provider but keeping same mobile phone number). Thanks to Andy Cowper.
10. ATM machine Especially one belonging to TSB Bank. From Karen Bloor.
Next week: First sentences in fiction
Coming soon: Lost positives (such as ept and hevelled). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Mr Selfridge series 3: Actress Kara Tointon says 'we're starting to see his demise'
Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party