The Top Ten: Words used only with one other word...
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 15 December 2013
Stewart Wood, shadow minister without portfolio, asked about obsolete words that survive only in idiomatic phrases, such as serried and batten.
I have previously insisted that the use of squib, bated, scot and knell was compulsory, provided that they were detached from their familiar partners. Here are some more…
1. Fettle. Dudgeon. Shrift. Shebang. (All nominated by Tom Freeman.)
2. Figment. (Thanks to Arieh Kovler.)
3. Swingeing (Courtesy of Ten-Acre Wines.)
4. Unsung (From Steve Van Riel.)
5. Amok (Thanks to David Crosbie. As Woody Allen once said, “If you’re tired, we can walk amok.”)
6. Hale (From Danny Kemp.)
7. Fledged (From my colleague Andy McSmith.)
8. Inclement (Via Michael Crick.)
9. Clarion (Courtesy of Peter Campbell.)
10. Dulcet. (Halcyon Joel Carter.)
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes