The Top Ten: Words used only with one other word...
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 15 December 2013
Stewart Wood, shadow minister without portfolio, asked about obsolete words that survive only in idiomatic phrases, such as serried and batten.
I have previously insisted that the use of squib, bated, scot and knell was compulsory, provided that they were detached from their familiar partners. Here are some more…
1. Fettle. Dudgeon. Shrift. Shebang. (All nominated by Tom Freeman.)
2. Figment. (Thanks to Arieh Kovler.)
3. Swingeing (Courtesy of Ten-Acre Wines.)
4. Unsung (From Steve Van Riel.)
5. Amok (Thanks to David Crosbie. As Woody Allen once said, “If you’re tired, we can walk amok.”)
6. Hale (From Danny Kemp.)
7. Fledged (From my colleague Andy McSmith.)
8. Inclement (Via Michael Crick.)
9. Clarion (Courtesy of Peter Campbell.)
10. Dulcet. (Halcyon Joel Carter.)
Arts & Ents blogs
Under The Skin, film review: Scarlett Johansson is full-blooded as femme fatale alien
Doctor Who: Keeley Hawes to star alongside Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman
Boy George: Bad karma
Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
Led Zeppelin return with new 'unheard' song after scouring vaults for unreleased recordings
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Tony Benn meets Ali G: Watch Labour veteran burn Sacha Baron Cohen
- 2 Women do experience two different types of orgasm, study reveals
- 3 Tony Benn dead: Veteran Labour politician passes away at 88
- 4 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 5 Gauthier Soho has ranted against 'food blaggers' - so can we really trust online reviews?