The Top Ten: Words used only with one other word...
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 15 December 2013
Stewart Wood, shadow minister without portfolio, asked about obsolete words that survive only in idiomatic phrases, such as serried and batten.
I have previously insisted that the use of squib, bated, scot and knell was compulsory, provided that they were detached from their familiar partners. Here are some more…
1. Fettle. Dudgeon. Shrift. Shebang. (All nominated by Tom Freeman.)
2. Figment. (Thanks to Arieh Kovler.)
3. Swingeing (Courtesy of Ten-Acre Wines.)
4. Unsung (From Steve Van Riel.)
5. Amok (Thanks to David Crosbie. As Woody Allen once said, “If you’re tired, we can walk amok.”)
6. Hale (From Danny Kemp.)
7. Fledged (From my colleague Andy McSmith.)
8. Inclement (Via Michael Crick.)
9. Clarion (Courtesy of Peter Campbell.)
10. Dulcet. (Halcyon Joel Carter.)
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Daniel Radcliffe deemed 'not marketable' without his English accent
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign