End of the World Playlist: get into the doomsday groove
Whether tomorrow brings destruction or disappointed speculation, we've got the music to get you through it
The Mayans might have predicted the end of the world at around 2,600BC, but it feels as if modern musicians have been singing about it for far longer.
From The Doors' "The End" to Marilyn Manson's "Running To The Edge of The World" we humans seem unhealthily concerned with the imminent demise of the planet we inhabit.
We seem quite keen on the idea, in fact, judging by Tame Impala's "Apocalypse Dreams" and the popularity of Muse's "Apocalypse Please" (although the British rockers' USP is arguably singing about the inevitably miserable at the very best of times).
So, whether tomorrow brings the end of the world as we know it (as R.E.M might wager), inconceivable destruction, doom and death (as AC/DC predicts in "Highway to Hell") or (more cheerfully) the disappointed quashing of thousands of years of speculation (sing along to "Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)"), we've got the playlist to get you through it.
Please leave suggestions for other songs in the comments section (below) or tweet them to @IndyMusic and we'll update and expand the list (which you can listen to via Spotify, above) until tomorrow evening.
If we're still here, that is...
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow