End of the World Playlist: get into the doomsday groove
Whether tomorrow brings destruction or disappointed speculation, we've got the music to get you through it
The Mayans might have predicted the end of the world at around 2,600BC, but it feels as if modern musicians have been singing about it for far longer.
From The Doors' "The End" to Marilyn Manson's "Running To The Edge of The World" we humans seem unhealthily concerned with the imminent demise of the planet we inhabit.
We seem quite keen on the idea, in fact, judging by Tame Impala's "Apocalypse Dreams" and the popularity of Muse's "Apocalypse Please" (although the British rockers' USP is arguably singing about the inevitably miserable at the very best of times).
So, whether tomorrow brings the end of the world as we know it (as R.E.M might wager), inconceivable destruction, doom and death (as AC/DC predicts in "Highway to Hell") or (more cheerfully) the disappointed quashing of thousands of years of speculation (sing along to "Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)"), we've got the playlist to get you through it.
Please leave suggestions for other songs in the comments section (below) or tweet them to @IndyMusic and we'll update and expand the list (which you can listen to via Spotify, above) until tomorrow evening.
If we're still here, that is...
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
SPOILERS: Do not read this if you have not seen series 5, episode 11 of ‘Made in Chelsea’ It’s hard ...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
Sir Paul McCartney's son James admits he didn't like Heather Mills and talks publicly for the first time about his struggle with drugs
It's not just Jay-Z and Kanye West: The beatification of hip-hop
Leah McFall favourite to win The Voice UK 2013
Film review: Man of Steel - Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a bit of a fudge
TV review: The White Queen is less historically plausible than Game of Thrones (despite being ostensibly true)
- 1 Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria