The top ten: Most over-rated 1960s bands
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 07 July 2013
Chris Deerin, a fellow journalist, is to blame for this one. He complained on Twitter that there was "Doors music being played all over the radio this morning. Just horrible." When I asked for suggestions of more 1960s bands that were not as good as everyone thinks, John Mullin, my friend and former editor, suggested the Rolling Stones, which of course I ruled out of order.
Coming up: Awful rhymes in pop songs. Send your suggestions, or ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
1. The Doors "Self-regarding yobbery masquerading as mysticism," according to Andrew Mueller
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Even Hendrix got cheesed off with the band's deficiencies," says Mark Pierce
3. The Beach Boys "Saccharine harmonies, inane lyrics and the same clichés repeated over and over again like a wave hitting the shore." Robyn Strachan
4. Cream Nominated by Patrick Hennessy
5. Fairport Convention "Liege and Leaf got five stars but no one actually played it. Or if they did, they were too stoned to remember." Karen Buck, Labour MP
6. The Monkees The manufactured band that it was alright to like, but not really. Nominated by Ellen E Jones
7. The Byrds "For 'Renaissance Fair' alone." Nuff said, General Boles
8. The Velvet Underground "The songs featuring Nico make me envy the deaf." Citizen Sane
9. The Who "Otherwise known as The Why," says Chris Deerin
10.The Beatles Almost by definition, because they are so highly "rated"
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Well this Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Pharrell Williams says that 'Blurred Lines' criticism is 'out of context'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter