Album: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Beware (Domino)
Sunday 15 March 2009
What the hell to make of Will Oldham's umpteenth record in his guise as Bonnie "Prince" Billy?
Gone completely now are the dark musings against bare backing, and in their place are sometimes corny, sometimes earnest thoughts on life, love and loss set against a country sound that finds space for gospel backing vocals, fiddles, saxophones, whatever. This is BPB in Nashville Skyline mode and it can only divide opinion further on an always difficult, challenging and intriguing artist.
Pick of the Album: 'Death Final' is lovelier than its title would suggest
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
- < Previous
- Next >