Album: Leila, Blood, Looms and Blooms (Warp)
Sunday 06 July 2008
When trip-hop was appropriated by the chattering classes, it was time for its leading proponents to explore the dark side of their electronic arts. It is an area Leila Arab knows well: her 1998 debut 'Like Weather' was to 'Blue Lines' and 'Dummy' what 'Forever Changes' was to 'Sgt Pepper' and 'Pet Sounds'. And in the eight years since she last made a record, Iran-born Leila has lost both of her parents so it's fair to say that her music hasn't got any poppier. But Leila's bad-trip hop is never bad trip-hop: vocalists Terry Hall, Martina Topley Bird and others keep things ever absorbing, if a little murky for most tastes.
Pick of the Album: Terry Hall's 'Time to Blow' is rather special
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Doctor Who kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, gig review: Just what everyone was hoping for
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >