Album: Leisure Society, Into the Murky Water (Full Time Hobby)
Sunday 01 May 2011
Strange they should mention "murky" because the music within is as clear as Perrier.
This is the second album from Nick Hemming's – a former musical associate of Paddy Considine and Shane Meadows – orchestral-pop ensemble whose Belle & Sebastian-esque pop (mostly) stays just the right side of twee. It's charming enough, but it's as well mannered as a picnic with Cath Kidston accoutrements. Is it wrong to long for the musical equivalent of a swarm of wasps?
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take the title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland