Album: Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band, Carols, Songs and Hymns (Park Records)
Sunday 19 December 2010
Like Vaughan Williams – who collected all of the Trad folk songs here – Maddy Prior and her band care more about the spirituality and heritage of a good tune than any religious sentiment behind it.
What that means for the listener is that while this album ticks the minstrel and maiden boxes, caution is needed if you're thinking of putting it on as you tuck into the turkey on Christmas Day – it might strike Wicker Man-like fear into the hearts of any non-folky visitors. Perfect for when you want them to leave, though...
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP