Album: Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band, Carols, Songs and Hymns (Park Records)
Sunday 19 December 2010
Like Vaughan Williams – who collected all of the Trad folk songs here – Maddy Prior and her band care more about the spirituality and heritage of a good tune than any religious sentiment behind it.
What that means for the listener is that while this album ticks the minstrel and maiden boxes, caution is needed if you're thinking of putting it on as you tuck into the turkey on Christmas Day – it might strike Wicker Man-like fear into the hearts of any non-folky visitors. Perfect for when you want them to leave, though...
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mystery of the Siberian holes at the end of the world 'solved': Scientists offer explanation
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Sean Hannity reacts to Russell Brand's Israel-Gaza criticism: 'You're a dumb actor known for your failed marriage to Katy Perry'
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming in August 2014
The Walking Dead season 5 will see deaths of 'favourite characters', suggests Andrew Lincoln
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
Secret Cinema Back to the Future, review: Interactive cinema experience finally arrives
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >