Album: Mark Eitzel, Klamath, (Decor Records)
Since Rolling Stone proclaimed him songwriter of the year in 1991, Eitzel ("the American Morrissey") has done his level best to live up to such praise and, mostly (and characteristically), he's failed.
It's as if, the more he tries to make records people will love, the further he travels from his gentle gift. This time, he says, "I've made the kind of record I would want to listen to". And guess what? It's gorgeous and every bit as good as those early American Music Club records. Lesson learnt. Please yourself.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Tears and cheers as David Beckham ends glittering career after helping PSG to final win
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 David Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.