Album: Mavis Staples, You Are Not Alone (Anti-)
Sunday 12 September 2010
Jeff Tweedy and Mavis Staples: one is a criminally undervalued musical legend, the other is a criminally undervalued musical legend. Boom boom.
But what may at first seem an odd pairing (Tweedy plays guitar, produces and writes two songs) makes perfect sense when you realise that what the Wilco frontman and the 71-year-old soul survivor share is a love of faith, family and Chicago and a deep feel for that crossroads where blues, meets folk meets gospel.
The result? Sweet, soulful symbiosis.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 4 Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
Best TV shows on Netflix: 26 series to binge on
Led Zeppelin to release alternative Stairway To Heaven after 43 years
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Freddie Prinze Jr on 24: 'Kiefer Sutherland was the most unprofessional dude in the world – I hated every moment of it'
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
- < Previous
- Next >