Album: Mos Def, The Ecstatic (Downtown)
Sunday 23 August 2009
Just when you think hiphopis a spent force, alongcomes one of its moreoriginal talents to provethat the genre can stillpack a punch.
Def, freshfrom a this Tony, thatEmmy and the otherGolden Globe actingcareer, is an unlikelysaviour – considered ashot bolt after 2006'sdisappointing True Magic.But here he is expoundinghis reality over an oftenEastern-influenced backdropthat reflects thepost-war on terror lyrics.Conscious rap that's notcondescending. Is that anew genre in itself?
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin