Album: R.E.M. Accelerate (Warner Bros)
Sunday 30 March 2008
The verdict is in: 'Accelerate' – with its crunching power chords and sweetly sung backing vocals – is a triumphant return to form. Hmmm.
In fact, since the success of "Losing My Religion", fame has not so much eaten Michael Stipe's face as it has scooped out this insular artist's precious melancholy and replaced it with crass gestures. When Stipe chose to paint his face, sing into a megaphone and befriend Bono, the mythical folk poetry vanished in a cloud of celebrity. "I've become the hollow man," he sings in a rare revealing moment. Bottom line: a crowdpleaser from a band who should be above such things.
Pick of the Album: The album's middle section hints at the old magic
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Windows 10: man updates PC, wakes up to find porn slideshow on repeat
- 2 The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
- 3 John Green schools morning show hosts after awkward interview with Cara Delevingne
- 4 Bulletproof armadillo puts Texas man in hospital after shot bounces off hard shell
- 5 Doctors declare war on Jeremy Hunt over weekend working 'myths' amid plan for seven day NHS
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality