Album: Shelby Lynne, Revelation Road (Everso / Proper)
Sunday 16 October 2011
The albums since 1999's I Am Shelby Lynne have been, to put it kindly, a mixed bag of the over-egged and the under-whelming.
Revelation Road proves, though, that form may come and go, but class is permanent. Here, Lynne writes and produces 11 Bobbie Gentry-ish numbers that prove her country-soul is intact, though this DIY ethos strikes at precisely the point she's assembled a set of songs strong enough to have benefitted from an outside ear. Rick Rubin? Next time.
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Arts & Ents blogs
Heavy rain and years of 'benign neglect' may have caused Apollo Theatre roof collapse
Christmas TV guide 2013: Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
Justin Bieber isn't retiring from music after all
The Harry Hill Movie, film review: Screenplay isn't so much offbeat as utterly feeble
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- < Previous
- Next >