Album: The Avett Brothers, I and Love and You (American Recordings)
Sunday 25 April 2010
The man can even make Gogol Bordello sound great.
Rick Rubin is, IMHO, one of the few musical geniuses at work today. The Avett Brothers fall into that category of bands who've paid their dues but have lacked the magic Rubin touch to take them to the next level (see the Red Hot Chilis, the Jayhawks, etc). This is that next level. It's a glorious, happy-sad, poppy-country thing full of brotherly harmonies, banjo, cello and great, great songs. In an ideal world this would shift millions. But then so would the Jayhawks. Oh well.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action