Album: The Puppini Sisters, Christmas with...(Verve)
Sunday 19 December 2010
On which the Puppinis – a sort of 21st-century take on the Andrews Sisters, minus the real-world sibling connection – apply a 1940s polka-dots-and-baubles makeover to the predictable ("Let it Snow") and the unpromising ("Last Christmas").
It could be one big festive yawn, but the endeavour is saved by the trio's good-natured brio and the sense that tongues are within touching distance of cheeks. Hell, you can even rock around the Christmas tree to it if you must.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'