On the agenda: Mysterious Cities of Gold; Ron Burgundy's autobiography; McBusted tour; Christmas pasties; Lady Gaga's flying dress
Middle-class problems: Out-of-office messages
By Simmy Richman
Spending half of our working hours managing our email inboxes is irritating enough. Recently, the situation has been made even worse by the modern scourge that is the automated out-of-office email.
You want a quick answer to a simple question. You send an email. Within a millisecond of hitting the button there it is: Sorry. I have had to leave the office for a few hours. In the event of x, contact this person. In the event of y, try my colleague blah, and so on.
What busy lives we lead. Or do we? Could it be that the out-of-office email has become a tool to be deployed by self-aggrandising colleagues who have nipped off to the pub for a few hours and want to leave behind the message that they are utterly invaluable.
Perish the thought. But if you if you are going to be away from your desk for some time, here are a few simple pointers.
1) Never view the out-of-office email function as an excuse to flex your comic muscle.
2) Avoid providing too much detail. No one needs to know you are "on a sunbed in the Bahamas".
3) When you come back to your desk, try to remember to turn the out-of-office message off. No one, in the middle of December, needs a message telling them you are away until mid-August.
4) Try to remember where the out-of-office function lives. Asking colleagues how to set it up once can be charmingly doddery. Asking every time you need to do so, makes you look a fool.
5) Last, but by no means least, unless you work in the US, never use the term "annual leave". You're on holiday, OK?
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
25 years of Disney: How Darth Vader, Iron Man, Elsa and Pixar's geniuses helped the company conquer the world (again)
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account