Downton Abbey series 5: Watch first trailer for new season
Trailer introduces Richard E Grant's new character Simon Bricker
Scroll to see trailer
The one-minute clip shows Downton in flames as an unidentified blonde is scooped up into a man’s arms, and a terrified Earl of Grantham despairing that Lady Edith’s daughter will be snatched away from them.
No further hints are given about Anna and John Bates’ relationship following her controversial rape in series four, but the trailer shows the two worlds of above and below stairs coming together more than ever before, to the extent that Isobel Crawley even says: “Surely servants are human beings too?”
Elsewhere, the clip shows the Downton household struggling to get to grips with the changing times in 1924.
The clip ends with Mrs Hughes telling Carson: “Downton is catching up with the times we live in,” to which he replies: “That is exactly what I am afraid of.”
The trailer also gives a first look at new characters Simon Bricker and Lady Anstruther, played by Richard E Grant and Anna Chancellor.
Downton Abbey returns to ITV on Sunday 21 September at 9pm.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world