The top ten: Phrases that ought to be off the menu
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 27 October 2013
My search for meaningless verbiage to ban has taken me to some specialist sub-categories of jargon. Now Matthew Beardmore-Gray suggests that I should take the censor's pen to pretentious descriptions on menus...
1. Anything that mentions 'foam'.
2. Slow-cooked Meaning cooked elsewhere and reheated.
3. Vegetables 'nestling' with each other. Often in a 'bed'.
4. Jus Nominated by Sadie Smith who insists it's gravy.
5. Sourced Suggested by John West (no, really), especially ethically or locally.
6. Drizzle Nominated by Ms Person, among others. Usually means drip.
7. Hand-carved Thank you Jonathan Freedland.
8. Vine-ripened heritage tomatoes
9. Artisanal breads
10. Coulis Nominated by EU News. Means a sauce of dubious sugary origin.
Next week: Most beautiful British railway journeys
Coming soon: Anagrams. Mary Ann Sieghart told me that Kensington High Street is an anagram of Togetherness Thinking, which got me thinking. Send your suggestions (by Tuesday 5 November), and ideas for any future Top 10s, to email@example.com
Life & Style blogs
Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
Another transgender model lands contract with top agency IMG
Man charged £223,000 for six craft beers
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
- 3 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 4 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
- 5 Paracetamol Challenge: Mother of girl killed by overdose pleads with teenagers not to take part
iJobs Food & Drink
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...