A lorry has driven through a crowded Christmas market in the centre of Berlin, killing several people and leaving more than 50 injured.
- Crash 'being investigated as an act of terrorism'
- Police tell Berliners to stay at home
- Suspected driver of lorry arrested
- Nine confirmed dead and more than 50 injured
- Chancellor Merkel being briefed by interior minister and Berlin mayor
- Facebook initiates Safety Check feature for Berliners
- Video shows destruction caused by lorry
Please allow a moment for the live blog to load
Video of the aftermath showed people helping the injured on the ground.
Police said on Twitter that the truck rammed into the market outside the capital's popular Christmas market at the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.
Bild newspaper posted a picture of a large Scania truck with its windshield smashed out on the sidewalk alongside the market.
Eyewitnesses on social media reported hearing a big bang as the lorry entered the square.
Video showed destroyed hoardings and stalls.