The 10 Best cycling events
From the Dragon Ride in Wales to the Tour of County Tyrone, explore stunning scenery and get fit at the same time
1. Norwich 100 – 27 May
You can choose between a 100-mile, 50-mile or 25-mile ride on this route, which skirts the Broads and winds its way through olde-worlde Norwich.
2. Macmillan London to Paris – 4 July
Ending up in front of the Eiffel Tower, this capital ride covers 300 miles. Macmillan requires you to raise £1,500 to cover costs.
3. Dragon Ride Wales – 10 June
The larger routes on this ride, which begins in Port Talbot, have sold out. But you can still join the 37km ride (phew!).
4. South Downs Epic – 24 June
From £24, wiggle.co.uk
ind.pn/southdownsepic There are two rides, the epic (44 miles) and standard (23 miles). Both provide lovely views of the south coast and some challenging climbs.
5. Manchester to Liverpool – 3 June
From £16, ind.pn/manctoliver
This NSPCC ride starts at Salford Quays and moves off along the ship canal to Liverpool, even nipping down a certain Penny Lane.
6. Bournemouth Sportive – 27 May
This 70-mile route traverses Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire, mostly on quiet country roads.
7. Mega Meon Sportive – 1 July
From £16, ind.pn/megameon
The 55-mile fun ride is the main attraction here: it's easy to medium and mostly on the road, taking in the South Downs and pretty views across the Solent.
8. The Great British Bike Ride Land's End – 28 August
Finishing at Twickenham Stadium, this covers 400 miles. The Rainbow Trust asks riders to pay £250 and guarantee £1,250 of sponsorship.
9. Glasgow 100 – 12 August
From £28, action.org.uk
Glasgow's 100-mile ride for Action Medical Research is rated 4.5/5 for difficulty. The route takes in a few 10 per cent gradients.
10. Tour of County Tyrone – 5 June
From £15, ind.pn/touroftyrone
Choose between two routes here, a 98- and 64-miler. Whichever you plump for, you're sure to see Tyrone's most lovely scenery.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
The 50 Best spas
Map identifies the best and worst places for emergency healthcare in the world
The Atlas of Beauty: Photographer travels around the world to capture cultural diversity through stunning portraits of women
The 10 Best lightweight luggage
Chief executive of Malaysia Airlines: The toughest job in travel?
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...