The 10 Best Christmas markets
1. Leeds Christkindelmarkt
Until 18 December, leeds.gov.uk
Leeds' Millennium Square turns into a little bit of Germany with 40 visiting German traders, and there's even an authentic bierkeller.
2. SouthBank and London Eye Christmas Market
Until 24 Dec, xmas-markets.com
Pay a visit to Santa in his grotto-cum-chalet or marvel at the illuminated London Eye.
3. Belfast Christmas Continental Market
Until 19 Dec, belfastcity.gov.uk
Stalls from 27 countries transform the city hall's grounds into a chocolate-box Christmas scene.
4. Caerphilly Medieval Market
10 and 11 Dec, christmasmarkets.com
Experience a medieval Christmas, complete with castle jester, while roaming around 150 craft stalls.
5. Manchester Christmas Market
Until 21 Dec, manchester.gov.uk
Mooch around chalet-lined Albert Square and a small forest of plants, and sample the multicultural fare.
6. Gateshead Christmas Market
Until 11 December, newcastlegateshead.com
This is a winter fantasia of carol singers, mulled wine stalls and a whole host of food stalls.
7. Frankfurt Christmas Market, Birmingham
Until 23 Dec, birmingham.gov.uk
The Frankfurt market has German foods and trinkets, as well as local handmade stocking-fillers.
8. Bath Christmas Market
Until 11 December, bathchristmasmarket.co.uk
Possibly the prettiest of all the markets, between Bath Abbey and the Roman Baths, with 120 gift stalls.
9. Winchester Christmas Market
Until 21 December, winchester-cathedral.org.uk
This showcases local painters, glass-makers and textile artists.
10. Edinburgh German Christmas Market and Fair
Until 24 December, edinburghschristmas.com
A German market with sausages, crêpes and handmade gifts.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...