The 10 Best Christmas markets
1. Leeds Christkindelmarkt
Until 18 December, leeds.gov.uk
Leeds' Millennium Square turns into a little bit of Germany with 40 visiting German traders, and there's even an authentic bierkeller.
2. SouthBank and London Eye Christmas Market
Until 24 Dec, xmas-markets.com
Pay a visit to Santa in his grotto-cum-chalet or marvel at the illuminated London Eye.
3. Belfast Christmas Continental Market
Until 19 Dec, belfastcity.gov.uk
Stalls from 27 countries transform the city hall's grounds into a chocolate-box Christmas scene.
4. Caerphilly Medieval Market
10 and 11 Dec, christmasmarkets.com
Experience a medieval Christmas, complete with castle jester, while roaming around 150 craft stalls.
5. Manchester Christmas Market
Until 21 Dec, manchester.gov.uk
Mooch around chalet-lined Albert Square and a small forest of plants, and sample the multicultural fare.
6. Gateshead Christmas Market
Until 11 December, newcastlegateshead.com
This is a winter fantasia of carol singers, mulled wine stalls and a whole host of food stalls.
7. Frankfurt Christmas Market, Birmingham
Until 23 Dec, birmingham.gov.uk
The Frankfurt market has German foods and trinkets, as well as local handmade stocking-fillers.
8. Bath Christmas Market
Until 11 December, bathchristmasmarket.co.uk
Possibly the prettiest of all the markets, between Bath Abbey and the Roman Baths, with 120 gift stalls.
9. Winchester Christmas Market
Until 21 December, winchester-cathedral.org.uk
This showcases local painters, glass-makers and textile artists.
10. Edinburgh German Christmas Market and Fair
Until 24 December, edinburghschristmas.com
A German market with sausages, crêpes and handmade gifts.
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
The 50 Best spas
Missing Malaysia Airlines plane: Despite expected death toll we must remember air travel has never been safer
The 10 Best hiking boots
Come to Crimea: Could tourism help heal the divisions in Ukraine?
Malaysia Airlines MH370: the missing aircraft, and what investigators will be looking for
- 1 Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering nest of potentially deadly spiders in bananas
- 3 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 4 Russell Crowe's Noah banned in three Arab countries before worldwide premiere
- 5 Bob Crow death: RMT Union leader dies of massive heart attack aged 52
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Bus...
£16000 - £27000 per annum + Commission + Award-Winning Benefits): Flight Centr...