Chekhov is amongst that very rare breed of author who is a genius in two distinct forms – the play and the short story. Michael Frayn, not un-incidentally a fine translator of Chekhov, is another such.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Thursday 08 January 2009
Tuesday 06 January 2009
The Cordelia Dream, Wilton's Music Hall, London<br>Well, Apollo Shaftesbury, London<br>Mary Goes First, Orange Tree, Richmond
Sunday 04 January 2009
Sunday 16 November 2008
Tuesday 23 September 2008
Monday 28 April 2008
Tuesday 15 April 2008
On the strength of the play's title you could be forgiven for expecting a gory epic about the war in Afghanistan or Iraq. In reality, the French playwright Yasmina Reza's new drama is about a domestic kind of bloodletting: between husband and wife, man and woman.
Sunday 06 April 2008
Sunday 30 March 2008
Thursday 27 March 2008
Imagine a supremely awkward social situation and multiply it by 10. Not today's state meeting between President Bling-Bling and the Queen but the nightmarish scenario cooked up by Yasmina Reza in her new play.
Wednesday 26 March 2008
Sunday 16 March 2008
Tuesday 04 December 2007
Monday 29 November 2004
Sunday 23 March 1997
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help