The answers to Chris Maume's really quite hard questions
As befits a writer whose work was rooted in history, she eschewed modern writing techniques. “I don't have a computer,” she said. “Everything I write is handwritten."
1. Under the 1971 Coinage Act, what's the maximum amount that can be paid using 1p or 2p coins?
Here are the answers to this week's quiz...
1. Which Florentine queen of France was known as 'the Maggot from Italy's tomb'?
This biography tries to separate facts from fictions around David Litvinoff, an embodiment of the Swinging Sixties
Do you know what an Arkansas Black is? Or what Belgian statistician Adolphe Quetelet devised?
Ezra was an enthusiastic contributor to energy debates in the House of Lords, and became its oldest sitting member
Chris Maume on the maverick snooker genius, 40 today
Have a go at the Independent's Saturday quiz, which features questions from general knowledge, to films to world triva.
Here are some of 2015's finest books to fire the imagination, engage the grey matter and invigorate the spirit over the festive period
1. Which singer was recently named by Forbes as the top-earning woman in pop between June 2014 and June 2015, with earnings of $135m?
1. What domestic disciplinary record do the footballers Richard Dunne, Patrick Vieira and Duncan Ferguson share?
He played Mr Pritchard in the Burton/Taylor production of ‘Under Milk Wood’ – a pleasure for a Dylan Thomas fan
On her husband's behalf she fought record companies and set up the Zappa and Barkin Pumpkin labels, alongside a mail-order business
1. Which political party was founded in 1925, but didn't win a seat in the House of Commons until 1966?