To classical music lovers of a certain age, the words “BBC Northern Orchestra, conducted by John Hopkins”, spoken by the veteran BBC North Region announcer Tom Naisby, remain a vivid memory of 1950s wireless listening.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Wednesday 28 September 2005
Wednesday 07 September 2005
Wednesday 27 July 2005
Tuesday 26 April 2005
Friday 25 February 2005
Saturday 12 February 2005
Monday 07 February 2005
Monday 06 December 2004
The Westdeutsche Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra of Cologne is scarcely in the top league of German bands.
Wednesday 01 December 2004
The prelude from Glazunov's suite From the Middle Ages doesn't so much look back - in its incorporation of a few mock-archaisms - as stand still.
Monday 13 September 2004
Thursday 05 August 2004
This concert offered music by the leading Chinese composer Tan Dun, integrated into a main evening concert that laudably consisted entirely of works new to the Proms.
Thursday 01 April 2004
Wednesday 31 March 2004
The great moment in Henri Oguike's Front Line is a stampede along the front of the stage.
Sunday 28 March 2004
Wednesday 04 February 2004
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network