To classical music lovers of a certain age, the words “BBC Northern Orchestra, conducted by John Hopkins”, spoken by the veteran BBC North Region announcer Tom Naisby, remain a vivid memory of 1950s wireless listening.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Wednesday 28 September 2005
Wednesday 07 September 2005
Wednesday 27 July 2005
Tuesday 26 April 2005
Friday 25 February 2005
Saturday 12 February 2005
Monday 07 February 2005
Monday 06 December 2004
The Westdeutsche Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra of Cologne is scarcely in the top league of German bands.
Wednesday 01 December 2004
The prelude from Glazunov's suite From the Middle Ages doesn't so much look back - in its incorporation of a few mock-archaisms - as stand still.
Monday 13 September 2004
Thursday 05 August 2004
This concert offered music by the leading Chinese composer Tan Dun, integrated into a main evening concert that laudably consisted entirely of works new to the Proms.
Thursday 01 April 2004
Wednesday 31 March 2004
The great moment in Henri Oguike's Front Line is a stampede along the front of the stage.
Sunday 28 March 2004
Wednesday 04 February 2004
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'