To classical music lovers of a certain age, the words “BBC Northern Orchestra, conducted by John Hopkins”, spoken by the veteran BBC North Region announcer Tom Naisby, remain a vivid memory of 1950s wireless listening.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Wednesday 28 September 2005
Wednesday 07 September 2005
Wednesday 27 July 2005
Tuesday 26 April 2005
Friday 25 February 2005
Saturday 12 February 2005
Monday 07 February 2005
Monday 06 December 2004
The Westdeutsche Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra of Cologne is scarcely in the top league of German bands.
Wednesday 01 December 2004
The prelude from Glazunov's suite From the Middle Ages doesn't so much look back - in its incorporation of a few mock-archaisms - as stand still.
Monday 13 September 2004
Thursday 05 August 2004
This concert offered music by the leading Chinese composer Tan Dun, integrated into a main evening concert that laudably consisted entirely of works new to the Proms.
Thursday 01 April 2004
Wednesday 31 March 2004
The great moment in Henri Oguike's Front Line is a stampede along the front of the stage.
Sunday 28 March 2004
Wednesday 04 February 2004
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Winnie the Pooh banned from Polish playground for being 'inappropriate hermaphrodite'