The handwritten book by Ebenezer Cobb Morley contains the 13 original laws of football
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Friday 29 February 2008
* For those within striking distance of the Lake District, the annual Words by the Water Cumbrian Literature Festival kicks off today for 10 days, on the shores of the lake at Keswick. Wordsworth is, of course, on the menu – so, too, Bob Dylan. There's a good deal of poetry in fact, including Blake Morrison, Alice Oswald, Sean O'Brien and Sylvia Plath, but the wide-ranging programme includes Roy Hattersley, Maggi Hambling, Mary Warnock and Lynne Truss. There's also a rare chance to hear Dr Rosalind Rawnsley, granddaughter of Canon Rawnsley, co-founder of the National Trust, in the Rawnsley family home, in a room designed by the Canon. Full details of the Festival at www.wordsbythewater.org.uk
Monday 04 February 2008
Friday 19 May 2006
Saturday 06 May 2006
Sunday 16 April 2006
Friday 08 October 2004
Saturday 18 September 2004
It was to plug one of his many books that Melvyn Bragg was in the ITV building this week when he encountered an old chum who asked him to go on air to do a political interview while he was there. "You should do more political interviews," said his mate. "You are a working peer." Knowing the insatiable appetite of cable TV, the polymath agreed. It was a big mistake.
Friday 21 May 2004
Saturday 07 February 2004
Friday 09 January 2004
Saturday 31 May 2003
Monday 14 April 2003
Wednesday 22 January 2003
Monday 05 August 2002
Sunday 23 June 2002
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition