Sculptors go to war with Boris

Andrew Johnson
Sunday 11 May 2008 00:00
Comments

Leading figures from the arts world criticised Boris Johnson, the new Mayor of London, and said he would be forced into an embarrassing climbdown over his pledge to scrap the competition for a temporary work of art to be placed on the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square every 18 months.

Mr Johnson supports a campaign launched in March to erect a permanent statue of Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Park, a Battle of Britain hero, on the plinth.

Mr Johnson's critics includes the culptors Anish Kapoor and Antony Gormley; their works are shortlisted for the plinth.

A mayoral spokesman said that no decision had been made on the future of the competition.

Mr Gormley said: "He promised that he's going to run as new Boris. I hope that the new Boris is going to be more culturally aware."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in