The Oscar-winning filmmaker said in March he would direct the 25th instalment of the franchise and had begun work on the script alongside Trainspotting writer John Hodge.
However, the film’s producers, Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, said in a statement on Tuesday that Boyle had pulled out of the production.
Shooting of the film had been due to begin at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire during December and was planned for release in October 2019.
A tweet on the official James Bond account said: “Michael G Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25.”
Boyle won the Academy Award for best director in 2008 for drama Slumdog Millionaire and has also received widespread critical acclaim for his work on films such as Trainspotting and 127 Hours.
No replacement for the Manchester-born filmmaker, who was also artistic director for the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics, has been announced.
The as-yet-untitled film is expected to be the fifth and final movie starring Daniel Craig as 007.
Craig, who has already appeared in Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace, Skyfall and Spectre, has previously stated that he would rather “slash his wrists” than return to the role.
He later said that he made the remarks two days after he finished shooting Spectre and was exhausted.
However, speculation regarding his successor has been rife, with much talk in recent weeks over whether Idris Elba could assume the role.
Luther and The Wire star Elba has fuelled speculation by alluding to the rumours on social media by tweeting: “Elba, Idris Elba,” in the style of Bond’s famous catchphrase.
Additional reporting by agencies
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies