I could have sworn the Fast and the Furious series used to be about street racing, but now it’s evolved into some kind of smack talking, super spy action spectacular involving Gatling guns and exploding ice sheets.
Today we get the first full trailer for the eight instalment, which has been renamed The Fate of the Furious in the US, is more accurately titled Wild Speed: Ice Break in Japan and is the franchise’s first outing not to include Paul Walker following his tragic death in 2013 (the handful of scenes he had filmed prior to the car accident were used in Fast 7).
“It’s time to get lit” the trailer opens, here’s a non-exhaustive list of insane things that happen in it:
- Ludacris wipes out at least five pursuing cars with a pre-planned wrecking ball deployment
- Vin Diesel turns bad and it's entirely possible he’s been switched out for a robot by a cyber terrorist
- Charlize Theron is in the movie and teams corn rows with a suit
- Dom (Diesel) escapes police by driving onto a plane as it's taking off
- The Rock stages a jail break whilst trash talking
- Ludacris gets a tank
- There is an arctic chase involving ski-doos, armoured vehicles, an orange Lamborghini and, get this, a submarine. Too fast too amphibious!
Here’s the official synopsis from Universal:
'Now that Dom and Letty are on their honeymoon and Brian and Mia have retired from the game—and the rest of the crew has been exonerated—the globetrotting team has found a semblance of a normal life. But when a mysterious woman (Oscar® winner Charlize Theron) seduces Dom into the world of crime he can’t seem to escape and a betrayal of those closest to him, they will face trials that will test them as never before.
From the shores of Cuba and the streets of New York City to the icy plains off the arctic Barents Sea, our elite force will crisscross the globe to stop an anarchist from unleashing chaos on the world’s stage…and to bring home the man who made them a family.'
Helen Mirren and Scott Eastwood are new additions to the cast alongside Theron, joining regular cast members Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Nathalie Emmanuel, Elsa Pataky and Kurt Russell.
Fast & Furious 8 opens in cinemas on 12 April, 2017.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies