The Minuteman: Liam Neeson to star in action-thriller movie

The actor apologised in February for his comments about wanting to 'kill' a black man 

Chelsea Ritschel
New York
Friday 10 May 2019 18:09
Comments
Liam Neeson: 'I'm not racist'

Liam Neeson has landed a leading role in an upcoming film, just months after revealing to The Independent that he once wanted to “kill” a black man.

The 66-year-old will be starring in The Minuteman by director Robert Lorenz, an action-thriller that follows a Vietnam veteran who finds himself responsible for the life of a young boy being hunted by the cartel, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Production on the film is expected to begin in September on location in New Mexico and Ohio and Voltage Pictures will be representing the movie at the Cannes Film Festival.

The role is not unlike similar ones Neeson has played in the past.

Previously, the Irish actor has starred in the Taken trilogy, and Non-Stop, as well as Schindler’s List, Widows, and most recently, Cold Pursuit.

Neeson will also appear in Men in Black: International.

Of the decision to cast Neeson, executive producer Jonathan Deckter told Deadline: “Fans love to see Liam play the highly skilled protector, a role he does better than anyone else as seen in the Taken film series, and Robert has helped bring some of the most celebrated films about an everyman’s journey to becoming a hero to the big screen.

“This powerful combination gives The Minuteman a critical edge in the international marketplace. We’re thrilled to partner with Zero Gravity’s Tai and Mark and Sculptor’s Warren and Eric to share this visceral story with audiences around the world.”

The actor’s recent casting comes after he sparked international outrage in February when he admitted that he once went around with a cosh looking for a “black bastard” to kill after a close friend of his was raped.

At the time, Neeson was widely condemned as a “racist”, with many calling for his career to be over.

Neeson later apologised for his comments, which he said he recognised were “hurtful and divisive”.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

“I profoundly apologise,” he said.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in