“The Orchard will not be moving forward with the release of I Love You, Daddy,” it said in a brief statement Friday morning.
The premiere of the comedy was cancelled just hours before it was due to take place yesterday, ahead of the publishing of a bombshell New York Times story on CK.
I Love You, Daddy was set for limited release on 17 November in the US before going wide in the following weeks.
According to Variety, The Orchard’s top brass considered avoiding a theatrical run and going straight to on-demand services, but ultimately decided to pull the movie entirely. This decision comes at a considerable cost, I Love You, Daddy having a budget of $5m and being the biggest sale at Toronto International Film Festival this year.
Shot in secret in June, the film sees CK play a writer-producer who tries to stop his 17-year-old daughter (Chloe Grace Moretz) from having a relationship with a 68-year-old director (John Malkovich).
The film was well-received at TIFF but also proved controversial due to its dialogue.
“We’re depicting oxygen-rich people who live in these beautiful apartments and offices saying whatever they want,” CK previously told THR.
“Folks say shit to each other. You can’t think about the audience when you’re making the thing. If you do, you’re not giving them something that came out of your gut. You’ll be making something that you’re like, ‘Is this OK for you?’.”
He added: “We’re at the bleeding edge of ‘That’s not OK to do now,’ but those people are still around. That’s a very interesting line to be on.”
HBO has cut ties with CK following the NYT story, which saw five women allege that he tried to get them to either watch or listen to him masturbating.
His relationship with FX, which airs his popular Louie show, is “under review”.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies