Seth Rogen reveals why a ‘Pineapple Express’ sequel was never made

‘I think we probably wanted too much money. Studios, they don’t like giving away money. Weird thing’ 

Annabel Nugent
Monday 03 August 2020 10:04
Comments
Seth Rogen stars in An American Pickle trailer

A Pineapple Express sequel was in the works until it was shut down by Sony, Seth Rogen has revealed.

The 2008 comedy action film, co-written by Rogen and Evan Goldberg, followed Rogen and actor James Franco as stoners Dale and Saul in their misadventures after witnessing a murder. Following its release the movie quickly became a smash hit and cult favourite.

Pineapple Express grossed more than $100m (£76.43m) worldwide against a budget of only $27m (£20.64m). Given the film's financial success and popularity, fans were surprised that no sequel was ever produced.

Speaking as a guest on The Howard Stern Show last week, the actor said that Sony shot down the sequel due to a budget dispute.

“We tried to make one [a sequel] and thanks to the Sony hack you can actually find the email when Sony decided to kill the movie and not make it,” he said. “It was something we were very open to several years ago, but Sony was not that interested in it.”

The 2014 Sony Pictures hack released multiple confidential documents and email chains discussing forthcoming and unannounced movies.

According to a report from The Daily Beast, the leaked emails included exchanges between producer Judd Apatow and former Sony co-chairman Amy Pascal discussing the Pineapple Express sequel in 2014.

“I am so glad we are so close to getting Pineapple Express 2 figured out. I am very excited to make this thing real,” Apatow wrote in an email. “I am sure PE2 will do even better! Marijuana is so popular now! It’s on every corner.”

Apatow, however, reportedly wanted a $50m budget for the sequel while Sony executives insisted it be capped at $45m. As a result, the sequel was never given the green light.

Access unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Amazon Prime Video Sign up now for a 30-day free trial

Sign up

In his interview, Rogen confirmed, “I think we probably wanted too much money. Studios, they don’t like giving away money. Weird thing.”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in